top of page

Certification of Birth Abroad

Updated: Jun 14, 2022

The Certification of Birth Abroad (Form FS-545) is used to establish U.S. citizenship for children born abroad to a U.S. citizen parent or parents. In order to complete the form, the following information is required: the child's full name, date and place of birth, parent's full name(s), current address and occupation(s), and a notarized signature of one parent. In addition, the form must be accompanied by the following supporting documents: the child's foreign birth certificate, a copy of the parent's photo ID, and proof of U.S. citizenship for the parent (e.g., passport, birth certificate, etc.). Once the form and supporting documents are assembled, they can be submitted to the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate for processing. Please note that there is a fee for this service, and it can take several weeks to receive the certified copy of the birth certificate.

Related Posts

See All

Electronic Passport (ePassport)

An ePassport is an essential travel document that allows you to cross international borders quickly and easily. It contains an embedded electronic chip that stores your biometric information, such as


A visa is a document that allows a foreign national to enter, stay and leave a country. It is usually stamped or glued into the passport of the traveler. In most cases, visas are required for travel t


bottom of page